Tuesday, October 25, 2005

This Time He Brought His Wife

My response to the second appearance of Jehova's Witnesses at my door was the same. Receive the book and offer to "have a glance." I let him know I'm involved in a church and doing well, as he slowly boxes me up and files me under "Christian." They probably didn't expect a relatively upstanding 22-year who will patiently stand there and humble them.

We all know he's probably waiting for an argument (or a life-long commitment), armed with a briefcase filled with underlined texts that will swiftly answer my predictable questions. Academically, I'm not armed to go head-to-head, nor am I inspired to take that role of confrontation (Pete and Jason did this once, and I applaud them).

Still, rather than slam the door, politely hush him, or begin an argument (which seems a futile alternative to just briefly giving them the stage), I've decided to spend 5 minutes listening, treat them as people (though they might treat me as a number, a stereotype, I don't know), and resemble a posture of "I've heard you" and "thanks."

I'm not gonna duct tape my doorbell to stop you from coming around again. Whatever.

OR.

I could use the footage that Kevin used in Home Alone the next time J.W. comes around:

Gangster 'Johnny': Who is it?
J.Dubs: It's Jehova's Witnesses, we've come
to drop off an interesting book for you!
Gangster 'Johnny': Leave it at the
doorstep and get the hell 'outta here.
J.Dubs: Well, I'll just leave it here
on the doorstep, then.
Gangster 'Johnny': Keep the change, ya filthy animal.
J.Dubs: Sorry, what?
Gangster 'Johnny': Hey, I'm gonna give
you to the count o' ten, to get your ugly, yellow, no good keister of
my property, before I pump your guts full of lead...

1...
2...
10!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home