My high school is getting bulldozed
I graduated from Sutherland Secondary in North Van in '01 and after tomorrow night's final celebration, the school is getting torn down. They've built a new one next to the old school.
Forgive me for being so sentimental, but I did get watery-eyed in my Grade 12 year when Vitamin C's Friends Forever video came on.
I would come home during my afternoon spares and watch Wonder Years and get torn up thinking about how the precious high school years don't last.
I loved being the lunch hour mayor and greeting my homeys from all different social groups.
I had about three significant crushes that lasted from Grade 8 all the way to Grade 12 and about 25 other crushes in between. And gawdamm! those are exciting times.
I scored a hat-trick in my first game of intramural floor hockey as a Grade 8 and I remember people cheering and I felt so good.
I was the Pink Ranger as team captain of the Superheroes for Grad Family Feud.
I ran the yearbook with Jeff Clarke in Grade 9.
I got to attend a full-year with me (Gr12), Jordan (Gr10), and Trevor (Gr8) all in the school.
I was in the Grad fashion show, I danced with a girl for the first time at the Gr9 halloween dance, I won the journalism award in Gr9 in front of the whole school and my parents, I learned to square dance, me and my buddy got a hilarious detention for spitting on each other, I hugged girls everyday...
There's really no other time in life that you're with all your friends everyday...it's crazy! Damn I miss it. I adored those high school days.
Well...here's to my fallen homey Sutherland. Thank you for the memories you lovely building you. And fortunately, God and people are the ones that actually make memories...so here's to plenty of new ones.
I love you years 1996 to 2001.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home