Thursday, February 07, 2008

I visited my old school tonight...

Sutherland Secondary is bound to be bulldozed and I really loved that place.
I had to see it one more time.

Me and Matty Lee dropped by tonight and I see that half the school is now quarantined off, ready to be crushed into rubble. The hallway to the office is blocked off by wooden boards that reach to the ceiling. Classrooms are dark and there is an eery vibe in the halls. It's half-dead. They still use the old building for photography, art, and the teacher's lounge, but soon everything will be phased out and moved into the new, state of the art building next door.

Looking at the conceptual drawings of a huge grass field and walkway where my old school used to be is so surreal. As Thea would say, I wanna wrap my old school in cotton and keep it safe forever.

The new school looks amazing and awful at the same time. It's way more functional and nice looking but there are no memories.

I absolutely effing loved high school. Even Jeff, who hated high school and our grad year is going to the "Reduced to Rubble" party at the school tomorrow night. Matty Lee said it well: whether you loved it or hated, it's five years of your life. And damn son I treasure those times.

I've always lived in the same house and I get to go back to Anvil every year and the cabin up at Okanagan Lake will always be there. This is the first time I've lost a significant building haha. As dumb as that sounds. It sucks and I wanna cry sometimes.

Then again, the true memories are built on my relationships with people, and the immense blessings God gave me from ages 14 to 18.

For now I've got my hands on a little memento from God (and Matty Lee): an old 'EXIT' sign detached and stuffed in the bottom of a locker. A physical piece of that place that meant so much to me that can't be destroyed. Hell ya I'm sentimental. It's for Jordan and Trevor too.

I guess life is very much about taking some things with you, leaving some things behind, and moving on to something new.

So I walked out with an official Sutherland Secondary 'EXIT' sign in my hand, said one last goodbye to a building that meant so much to me, and hopped in a car with a friend who never even knew me during those years, headed towards the next adventure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home