Monday, March 31, 2008

Emo weekend

Big time emotionally exhausting championship game for our hockey team.
We came back from 2-0 and 4-2 somehow. We didn't play our smartest game and we didn't have as deep a lineup as TWU but guys went balls to the walls and our team had a breakaway with 10 seconds left in the third for the win that they were fortunate to stop. And overtimes can go either way and it went their way this time.

I'm obviously a bit choked about the loss but we are a cinderella team of random-ass guys from all different hockey backgrounds and ages and skill levels and we put together a sick little run that is as much a moral victory as a moral victory could ever be. And frick we were a shot or a bounce away from a scoreboard victory.

When I first came into the league I wanted to just beat people and prove something to them about how they're not as good as they think they are...

In hindsight that was a retardedly insecure and negative attitude.

So the past couple years I've been focusing more on:
a) moral victories - because this is a rec league not a rep league and you compete with your teammates whether they suck or they're good to bring the most out of your group and maximize your group's potential.
b) have fun - how could you pay $305 plus gas, gear, and giving up your saturday nights to NOT have fun? nobody in this league is going to the show or within 5 billion kilometres of the show. hockey at this stage, for our team, is about the intrinsic joy of playing the game and being in the moment.

It was fun to play in front of so many people and feel the hype of what was relatively a big game for a bunch of regular guys who love hockey.

The ref came up to me after and said it was by far the best championship game he could remember.

I got to score a goal and tag Earl and Brennan who jumped up on the glass.

That was fun. Let's play tennis now.

p.s. Ric Flair: I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home