Virginal Recording
The first thing I have ever recorded:
The Lord is Gracious and Compassionate
(for the Anvil website http://www.anvilisland.ca/camp2, so campers can download or whatever...written by Graham Ord)
Matty Mcdaniel recorded it on Protools at his house, with a couple of decent mics, and an echoey hallway...not to mention a chizzled heartthrob (Steve Watts). You hear Matt and Steve on the recording at the end with the multitude of improvised voices and clapping and tamborining and wall banging...which was kind of a joke idea Steve had at first...but we ended up keeping it.
So strange to hear myself sing; vulnerable to be doing your best in something and have the results so plainly recorded and ready to be judged. It took about 6 hours for two songs, but I still did vocal tracks only a couple times...so all the little pitchy mistakes are still there. For the most part, hearing myself in a nice recording is an encouragement. There's lots of little things we wish we could have changed in the short time we had, but the tracks serve their purpose - that the campers can remember/learn/worship/enjoy. Matt was brilliant and I was actually really excited about how it came together.
I will post the other song, Water, tomorrow I think.
The Lord is Gracious and Compassionate
(for the Anvil website http://www.anvilisland.ca/camp2, so campers can download or whatever...written by Graham Ord)
Matty Mcdaniel recorded it on Protools at his house, with a couple of decent mics, and an echoey hallway...not to mention a chizzled heartthrob (Steve Watts). You hear Matt and Steve on the recording at the end with the multitude of improvised voices and clapping and tamborining and wall banging...which was kind of a joke idea Steve had at first...but we ended up keeping it.
So strange to hear myself sing; vulnerable to be doing your best in something and have the results so plainly recorded and ready to be judged. It took about 6 hours for two songs, but I still did vocal tracks only a couple times...so all the little pitchy mistakes are still there. For the most part, hearing myself in a nice recording is an encouragement. There's lots of little things we wish we could have changed in the short time we had, but the tracks serve their purpose - that the campers can remember/learn/worship/enjoy. Matt was brilliant and I was actually really excited about how it came together.
I will post the other song, Water, tomorrow I think.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home