Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Time To Give Up Your Poker Face!

[written by anonymous (aka not me) on July 27, 2005 @ 7:48pm]

The truth is no matter who you are, you will sunburn if you are out in the sun for long periods of time. We all turn pink eventually. Today, the hip-hotty guy wears pink to up keep his image. Don’t forget his cool khaki low tide shorts. That is the ticket. I am actually writing to diss the most fashionable trend of all centuries past and present. You see we are all humans and we all bleed and perspire. However, most of us have learned at a very age to wear the biggest cover up of all. It’s in our genes and something has to happen to fix it.

Before plastic and “the Stepford Wives,” this custom has been with us since the beginning of mankind. Folklore or not, it is quite telling when we hear that Adam & Eve covered up what was really going on with them when the ate from the Tree. They covered up their own humanity and shame and tried to play nice but eventually they were found out.

History records how people have exalted themselves with cover-ups. I am talking about hiding behind their deeds or image rather than being truly human. They found ways to make them look better than what they were are. They took on rules, ideals, and forced their rules and ideals on others. It comes in all shapes and colours… meaning hiding behind a person you are infatuated with to gaining status with wealth. Or primitively we all want to say to the next person “my milkshak’s better than yours.”

Once a Man said, “Screw you” and turn the tables on some of these folks who their ideals and rules was the essence of their souls. He went on to say, “Look, you know nothing about real living, this women on her knees, yeah the one that looks like she is doing a lap dance… Yup, the one you call a whore. She knows more about loving and living than any of you. She is being REAL and giving everything she has because she loves me. I am not afraid to look at her and I am not going to judge her. One day she is going to be famous because she refused to cover up her heart. You might think was she is doing is disgusting but she is doing only what she knows how to do- she is being herself. [paraphrased]”

When I was in the South people were so kind to me, smiling and saying “howdy!” But I knew they said it cause they were taught that was the proper thing to say. But did they really mean it? In contrast, people in Quebec have a reputation of telling it like it is. There is no bullshit here. You cut a taxi driver off and he will stick his head and finger out the window and tell you exactly how he feels. Definitely, there’s no impropriety in this province.

We all learned to cover up and act the way we think people want us to act. I am not talking about good manners here, I am talking about the “REAL” problem. What I hate in life is how people totally avoid being real. People live a lie by acting like some good girl or good boy. Some hide behind some achievement or talent and find some box or pedestal to give them their identity. Some hide behind questions like “what do people think if I do this,” “Am I be a good example,” “Will I hurt someone if I do this.” OR they listen to some cynically critical voice telling them all to obey all the “ought to do’s.” If they are true to this, they will please their god and earn them brownie points to win their perfect wife or husband one day. Do you know people like this?

Deep down these people are either hiding a lot of pain or trauma or they just don’t know how to trust anyone to be real. It is the perfect cosmetic for the soul. Really. You go on and on and act happy. But you can’t really relate. So you find something or someone else to make you feel happy. Some people can cake their faces for a long time but sooner or later it everything does crack. It comes out in creepy ways. If you have seen this or experienced it, it’s not nice.

I think men and women struggle “plastic” themselves so different. We find a way to keep this bubble alive so know one knows what is real. We are in totally denial and those who are perceptive know it. You can’t bluff it ‘cause your poker face doesn’t work after awhile. You will die inside if you don’t find a way to be true and be real. Cause deep down, we really want to know love.

I know I can’t force people to face it. And the journey deep can be as simple as making pancakes or as treacherous as finding “the National Treasure.” All I suggest is that, if you have come to a place of true realness, be a mirror to others.

Just beware though… don’t go down with them. You can watch and be a real friend. There is a legend of some person who looked into and mirror and drowned because he was so full of himself. Be also aware that one can be tempted by enjoying the gift of being a mirror. After awhile, looking so wise and wonderful in this pitiful persons eyes can distract us from our own humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home