Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Mr. Emo

I saw you today on Robson Street Mr. Emo. And by "you" I mean "many of those resembling you."

Holy crap you are the Supreme-o of Emo, the Alternative to Alternative, the Metrosexual Modern Man...

With your flamingly pink shirt that saran wraps your teensy torso, nipples protruding, belly button peaking out after each step. Jeans so tight it's as if you put them on as a six-year old and just grew into them for 20 years, sacrificing practicality for fashion to the degree that THEY WILL NEVER COME OFF. Weighing in at a solid 105 pounds without metallic accessories, and measuring out around a more average 155 once all earings, belt buckles, leather bracelets, buttons, safetypins, and studs weigh in. Your height also accentuated by the fully intentional yet "messy" looking bleach-blonde, cement-hard pho hawk that forced you to wake up at 5am this morning in order to be out of the house by 8. Word to the remake 1975 white Adidas kicks with the light 3 green stripes, so worth the 175$ at Foot Locker, a small price to pay for keeping it real. Big Poppa Gangster loves phat silver rims, but Mr. Emo loves phat black frames...perscription my ass, these bitches is thick and worth every penny - all 100 of them. Word to the saggy one-strap shoulder bag. Word to the coloured neck tattoo. Word to your new yet old jeans. Word to your really weird child's wristwatch that actually works.


I don't know how this got so cynical. I guess I have hidden issues. It's weird cause if I had to classify myself I would probably say emo...but it just sucks to see people wearing the mannequin from a store window, the cookie cutter sort of thing, ya know? Dressing is important to a degree - a chance for some self expression...most people care what they wear, and for the few that actually don't, fair enough. The worst is to see people spending tons on run-of-the-mill shite that achieves the ultimate goal of blending in...or even worse, hiding behind a stereotype or going through a "stage" where you're making yourself skater/gangster/prep. Julie has blue hair that rocks my world. Justin has Ronald McDonald shoes. Both are totally being themselves - so suited to that unique individual - I love it. The point is that it seems like everything born out of a desire for uniqueness and self-expression eventually becomes perverted by the mainstream...instead of diversity you get more robots...

and we all saw that movie I, Robot...didn't we...

Will Smith is reaching out to us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home