Dedication
Andrew: *without batting an eye* Psyc 100, first year at CapCollege.
Anyone: Why?
Andrew: I had the best teacher I've ever had, this guy named Gary. Walks in to class with his hippie flanel shirt and his backwards polo hat and his backpack. Little did I know that this unshaven, long-haired, Jewish, rebel-prof would turn out to be the best teacher I have ever had.
Anyone: Sounds weird, whatup with this fool?
Andrew: Ya see, the guy actually LOVED his students, not "oh I love my job because i feel good when I do it and I get paid lots," but actually CARED, BELIEVED, INSPIRED, GENUINELY DESIRED FOR US TO LEARN. He pleaded with the department to abolish standard testing as they hinder a sense of true relationship and mutuality, he PREPARED as if giving the lecture of his life and each class was start-to-finish some of the most interesting stuff I've heard: engaging examples, clever thinking, thought provoking ideas, a mutual respect and appreciation that so rarely exists in educational institutions. This guy was here for more than a job. Gary is also the first person I ever knew to own the complete series of The Wonder Years recorded on VHS (he used them in class lectures often)...now THAT is inspiring...
Anyone: So did you take more of his classes?
Andrew: No one saw him since. We suspected he was fired for being so rebellious in his unique teaching style.
Andrew: Gary?!
Gary: Don't tell me...no no no, don't say it.
Andrew: Okay.
Gary: Cap College...no don't say it, let me think. About 4 years ago?
Andrew: Ya 4 sounds right
Gary: Thursday, 8:30 right?
Andrew: uh, shoot, I think so?
Gary: hmm...it's not Andrew is it?
Andrew: Yup, you got it!
Gary: I remember you had a lot of interesting ideas...and something about hockey...and etc etc *displays his amazing memory skills*
...la dee da's and holy shit's and wow's...
Gary: So you know I got fired right?
Andrew: Ya a bunch of us suspected that...was it cause your style was so different?
Gary: Ya I had some different ideas about things...
Andrew: That's such bullshit...ya, cause man, you were my favourite teacher ever, and everybody loved you and learned tons...and when you left we got stuck with like, "Jane Doe" for our other Psyc classes...!
Gary: "Jane Doe" was a bitch! You didn't like her as a teacher, imagine being a colleague!
...yadda yadda yadda...ew what a bitch...gary you da man...contact me anytime to talk about psyc or just life...you damn right i will...peace...
Gary expressed that his memory of me was so important because that teacher/student relationship is such a crucial part of life. He emphasises the value of this connection and the importance of knowing your students, really knowing them. So Gary, I dedicate this post to you, my greatest professor. You got screwed but you made a huge difference in my life and alot of others. Best of luck at Columbia College. Thanks for exemplifying what it means to be a real teacher.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home