Friday, June 23, 2006

Regular guys, but not...

Attending the NHL Awards as a member of the media was surreal.

Last night I asked Sydney Crosby if he was excited about getting the Penguins into the playoffs someday. I asked Alexander Ovechkin if he watched the Stanley Cup Finals and what he thought. I also got bold and asked questions to Scott Niedermayer, Eric Staal, and Cam Ward. I got to be in the media scrum for Jagr, Thornton, Lidstrom, Brind'Amour, Richards and Cheechoo, as well. Saw Mark Messier, too. Had a 30-second chat with America's next Crosby, Phil Kessel. They actually felt like regular guys, but I was still awe struck.

Sitting in the media workroom on Andrew Lee's laptop and putting fresh batteries into my freshly bought Sony recorder and looking out at all the Province, Sun, Headline Sports, Fox and other recognizable reporter types was a bit intimidating but a bit encouraging - like, hey...i could do this.

They're just dad's and guys my age that are really really good at hockey. But I think the appeal of sports journalism is seeing people be excellent and then getting to know their story.

Last night was special, but any amount of talking, watching, or reporting on hockey could ever replace the joy of actually playing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home